Compass Education Group is one of the world’s leading tutoring and test preparation companies. We provide completely customized one-on-one instructional programs, both in-home and online, for thousands of students annually. The company is privately held by its three founders who are owner-operators with a combined 80 years of experience in educational services and tutoring businesses.
Our dedicated management teams totaling 50 professionals based in Los Angeles, New York City, San Francisco, and Chicago in turn support an elite pool of hundreds of instructors who specialize in high-stakes admission tests and also provide tutoring for a full range of academic subjects. Compass’ stellar reputation within the education community is the result of decades of ethical conduct and consistently guiding students to highly successful outcomes on tests.
Beyond its private client business, Compass is recognized by the education community as the most trusted source of research and guidance on the topic of college admission testing. We are keynote speakers at hundreds of high schools and many higher education conferences each year, we maintain one of the industry’s most popular and respected blogs, and we are go-to sources for education reporters in the national media. Our annual Guide to College Admission Testing reaches well over 100,000 readers annually and is considered to be the definitive authority on its subject matter. We are proud to share the Guide and related resources free of charge through schools and counselors worldwide. We also partner with dozens of schools and community-based organizations to provide no-cost or low-cost test preparation to students from under-resourced backgrounds.
What’s it like to work for Compass? Please check out an extensive list of anonymous employee reviews in our profile on Glassdoor. We are proud to provide a caring and rewarding work environment for our amazing team of tutors and full-time staff.
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 9:00am-5:30pm in-person in our Larkspur office
Full-time, Hourly Compensation: $26.50/hour
The Office Manager is a highly organized, detailed-oriented professional responsible for overseeing the daily administrative operations of our Northern California business, including phone calls, materials management, and facilities management. This position works closely with the Administrative Coordinator and reports to the Managing Director. This is an in-office position.
- Answer several calls per day from prospective clients, active clients, and tutors. Respond to or re-direct inquiries to the appropriate team member.
- Create and process a high daily volume of custom-built mail items accurately, neatly, and efficiently.
- Partner with the Administrative Coordinator and other operations team members for all administrative, operational, and organizational duties.
- Maintain administrative support on-call team, including training, scheduling and coordination.
- Order and organize all materials for test prep and academic tutoring programs, including coordinating large deliveries and recording and communicating materials changes.
- Keep the office stocked with all necessary supplies.
- Create and maintain sensitive paper and e-files for clients, employees, and operational functions.
- Support Recruiting team, including by processing new hire paperwork for part-time employees and conducting in-person I-9 verifications.
- Perform first-level tech support duties related to phones, printers, wi-fi, main door locks, and AC units in practice testing rooms.
- Liaise with property management to resolve maintenance issues.
- Assist with financial record keeping, including receiving invoices and completing expense reports.
- Support the Practice Test Manager by assisting with in-office practice test set-up, registration, communication and materials distribution.
The Ideal Candidate:
At Compass, our employees stand out not only for what they do but also for how they think. We ask for conscientious and consistent effort to align daily actions with our ethical standards and long term goals.
While handling the busy demands of a routine day, our ideal Office Manager will remain highly reliable, dependable, and consistent. We are looking for a demeanor that is warm and unflappable, friendly and polished. We especially care about the way you’ll converse with clients and teammates, your attention to details, and your willingness and ability to keep a bustling quality-conscious office moving.
We strive to make our employees feel confident and secure, trusted and supported. We look for hard working team players who seek an office environment that is casual, friendly, fast-paced, organized, collegial, and non-bureaucratic. This role interacts constantly with 10 officemates in Larkspur and is part of a larger team of professionals in our Southern California, New York, Chicago, and Washington, D.C. offices and hundreds of part-time employees in the field. We are committed to providing the help — and the autonomy — needed to succeed.
- Undergraduate degree strongly preferred.
- Meaningful professional experience in a related role.
- Professional manner in-person and on the phone
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer and organizational skills; accuracy and attention to details.
- Consistent work habits; strong work ethic; trustworthy; dependable.
- Interest in educational services is a plus. Client-centric mindset is a must.
- Starting rate of $26.50/hour with annual reviews
- 17 PTO days in year one plus one additional day for every year served up to 22 days. An additional 11 paid holidays per year.
- Group medical coverage.
- 401(k) plan with 4% match.
Compass Education Group is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of this company to consider all applications on the basis of merit without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic. Furthermore, we comply with the ADA and provide reasonable accommodation measures that may be necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions.
Due to significant growth in online tutoring and strong relationships with schools and counselors, Compass is seeking the right individual to open a bricks-and-mortar office in the Houston area and lead the growth of a team and an expansion of our services there. This is an exciting opportunity to build something new in an area with strong roots already established, while supported by an industry-leading company with dedicated and stable leadership. You would be full-time employee #1 in your city and would be hands-on in every aspect of growing a new office.
At the core of every outstanding Compass experience is an outstanding Compass director. Our directors lead our efforts to deliver exceptional value to Compass’s clients and tutors. Directors play the critical role of developing and maintaining relationships with our clients and instructors. Their activities are focused around consultative sales, attentive program management, customer guidance and care, supervision of our tutor staff, and relationship cultivation within a broad referral-based community. Every client’s test preparation program is crafted and managed by a Compass director and every Compass tutor is hired, trained, mentored, supervised, and supported by our director team.
- Conduct consultations every day with potential clients, typically by phone and occasionally in person. Make customized and student-centric program recommendations based on extensive conversations. Follow up with prospective clients conscientiously and thoughtfully.
- Convert recommendations into individualized tutoring programs and manage those programs to successful and highly satisfying outcomes. Provide a level of personalized service that consistently leads to enthusiastic word-of-mouth referrals and long term loyalty.
- Make thoughtful tutor matches for each client; supervise the tutor-client relationship; provide ongoing strategic guidance and expertise related to college admission testing and preparation; resolve any program-related concerns.
- Develop and maintain long term relationships with clients; strengthen relationships with tutors by providing ongoing support, evaluating performance, and offering professional development and mentoring.
- Conduct interviews with prospective tutors and share responsibility for the overall recruitment, training, and professional development process for tutors.
- Deepen our enduring relationships with school-based and independent college counselors by consulting with them on program recommendations and providing student progress reports.
- Lead presentations at schools for parent and student audiences.
Certain responsibilities are particularly important during an office’s start-up phase. Some of these initiatives would include:
- Recruit, train, manage, and mentor the office’s future full-time and part-time hires
- Develop a keen understanding of local neighborhoods and schools to inform a search for office spaces, client-sourcing, and tutor hiring
- Conduct market and competitor research on local tutoring providers
- Consistently communicate office-specific updates to colleagues in other offices; collaborate for assistance in hiring, events, client and tutor management, etc.
- Spark new relationships with counselors and within local networks
- Synchronize our DEI initiatives with local families and schools
- Stay up-to-date on testing policies at regional schools and other localized concerns
The Ideal Candidate:
At Compass, our directors stand out not only for what they do but also for how they think. We ask for conscientious and consistent effort to align daily actions with our ethical standards and long term goals. We expect that a director’s contribution will increase over time with an expanding breadth and depth of experience and expertise, more and higher stakes responsibilities, and by assuming leadership roles.
While handling the busy demands of a routine day, our directors are guided by the longview aspect of their roles. This is revealed in their client conversations, the details in their work, their decision making, and in the way they talk about Compass. They make a consistently positive impression on everyone they meet. They are experienced, empathetic, wise, trustworthy, sensible, fair, honest, engaged, and needed.
We strive to make our directors feel confident and secure, trusted and supported. We look for hard working team players who want to invest long term and who will make the most of an investment in them. Directors are central figures at Compass but part of a much larger full-time team that provides mentoring, strategic leadership, administrative and operational support, and cutting-edge tech tools. Directors are given the help – and the autonomy – they need to succeed.
While this position involves considerable focus on marketing and sales, ours is not a typical sales culture. We keep each student’s and family’s needs at the center of every conversation and let the appropriate recommendation emerge from there.
- Exceptional interpersonal instincts and skill, in all modes of communication and contexts
- Meaningful and relevant professional experience in relationship management and sales
- High comfort level with, and interest in, college admission testing subject matter
- Naturally collaborative spirit internally, competitive mindset externally
- Willing to embrace a challenging learning curve and open to possibility of a long term role
- Able to work a traditional full-time weekday schedule based primarily in an office, not remote
- Undergraduate degree required, advanced degree preferred
Compensation, Benefits, and Intangibles:
- Competitive salary with incentives and potential for growth
- Full health insurance plan with employee contribution
- 401k with employer match
- Paid vacation/personal days, holidays, and seasonal flex-days
- Frequent prof dev and cross-office collaboration and social opportunities
- Pleasant offices with comfortable furnishings and modern equipment
- Top-notch tech infrastructure supported by awesome product dev team
- Kind, fun-loving, interesting, and talented teammates (no exceptions)
- Transparent, equitable environment and ethical leadership
Email your resume and a cover letter explaining why this role would be a good fit for you to [email protected] We value thoughtful cover letters and will give priority to candidates who demonstrate interest in this way. Please note that we are unable to accommodate unscheduled drop-ins or phone calls.
Compass Education Group is one of the world’s leading tutoring and test preparation companies. We provide completely customized one-on-one instructional programs for thousands of students each year from the most educationally demanding schools in California and around the world. The company is privately held by its three founders who are owner-operators with a combined 75 years of experience in educational services and tutoring businesses.
Our dedicated management teams totaling 40 professionals based primarily in CA and NY in turn support an elite group of 400 instructors who specialize in high-stakes admission tests and also provide tutoring for a full range of academic subjects. Compass’ stellar reputation within the education community is the result of decades of ethical conduct and helping students succeed.
Beyond its private client business, Compass is recognized by the professional community as the most trusted source of research and guidance on the topic of college admission testing. We are keynote speakers at hundreds of high schools and a dozen education conferences each year, we maintain one of the industry’s most popular and respected blogs, and we are go-to sources for education reporters in the national media. Our annual Guide to College Admission Testing reaches hundreds of thousands of readers annually and is considered to be the definitive authority on its subject matter. We are proud to share the Guide and related resources free of charge through schools and counselors worldwide. We also partner with dozens of schools and community-based organizations to provide low-cost or no-cost test preparation to thousands of students.
Be an SAT/ACT Tutor with Us
We are always looking for great tutors in the Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, and NYC Metro areas. We welcome you to learn more about becoming a tutor and submit an online application.