Compass Education Group is one of the world’s leading tutoring and test preparation companies. We provide completely customized one-on-one instructional programs for thousands of students each year from the most educationally demanding schools in California and around the world. The company is privately held by its three founders who are owner-operators with a combined 75 years of experience in educational services and tutoring businesses.
Our dedicated management teams totaling 30 professionals based in Los Angeles and San Francisco in turn support an elite group of 300 instructors who specialize in high-stakes admission tests and also provide tutoring for a full range of academic subjects. Compass’ stellar reputation within the education community is the result of 25 years of ethical conduct and helping students succeed.
Beyond its private client business, Compass is recognized by the professional community as the most trusted source of research and guidance on the topic of college admission testing. We are keynote speakers at over 100 high schools and higher education conferences each year, we maintain one of the industry’s most popular and respected blogs, and we are go-to sources for education reporters in the national media. Our annual Guide to College Admission Testing reaches well over 100,000 readers annually and is considered to be the definitive authority on its subject matter. We are proud to share the Guide and related resources free of charge through schools and counselors worldwide. We also partner with dozens of schools and community-based organizations to provide affordable test preparation to thousands of students.
Please review the links below for information about full-time and part-time career opportunities currently available. Please note that we are unable to accommodate unscheduled drop-ins or phone calls.
The Administrative Coordinator is a highly organized, detailed-oriented professional responsible for the daily administrative aspects of our Northern California business. This position is the hub of phone- and mail-related communication activities, and reports to the Office Manager.
- Answer several calls per day from prospective clients, active clients, and tutors. Respond to or re-direct inquiries to the appropriate team member.
- Create and process a high daily volume of custom-built mail items accurately, neatly, and efficiently.
- Create and maintain sensitive paper and e-files for clients, employees, and operational functions.
- Warmly greet and accommodate all office visitors. Coordinate meeting schedules and room assignments.
- Support the Office Manager and other ops-team members with all administrative, operational, and organizational duties. Occasionally assist with special administrative projects.
- Take ownership of and pride in ensuring a pristine office environment, especially in shared spaces. Monitor inventory and assist with ordering of office supplies.
The Ideal Candidate:
At Compass, our employees stand out not only for what they do but also for how they think. We ask for conscientious and consistent effort to align daily actions with our ethical standards and long-term goals. While handling the busy demands of a routine day, our ideal Administrative Coordinator will remain highly reliable, dependable, and consistent. We are looking for a demeanor that is warm and unflappable, friendly and polished. We especially care about the way you’ll converse with clients, your attention to details, and your willingness and ability to keep a bustling quality-conscious office moving.
We strive to make our employees feel confident and secure, trusted and supported. We look for hard-working team players who seek an office environment that is casual, friendly, fast-paced, organized, collegial, and non-bureaucratic. This role interacts constantly with 10 officemates in Larkspur and is part of a larger team of professionals in our Southern California office and hundreds of part-time employees in the field. We are committed to providing the help — and the autonomy — needed to succeed.
- Undergraduate degree strongly preferred.
- Meaningful professional experience in a related role.
- Professional appearance and manner; exceptional phone manner.
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer and organizational skills; accuracy and attention to details.
- Consistent work habits; strong work ethic; trustworthy; dependable.
- Interest in educational services is a plus. A client-centric mindset is a must.
- Starting salary of $40,000 – $42,000 with annual reviews.
- 15 PTO days in year one plus one additional day for every year served up to 20 days. An additional 10 paid holidays per year.
- Group medical coverage.
- 401-k plan with 4% match.
Email your resume and a cover letter explaining why this role would be a good fit for you. We value thoughtful cover letters and will give priority to candidates who demonstrate interest in this way. Please note that we are unable to accommodate unscheduled drop-ins or phone calls. Thank you for your interest.
Program Director, Sales & Program Management
At the core of every outstanding Compass experience is an outstanding Compass program director. Our program directors lead our efforts to deliver exceptional value to Compass’s clients and tutors.
Program directors play the critical role of developing and maintaining relationships with our clients and instructors. Their activities are focused around consultative sales, attentive program management, customer guidance and care, supervision of our tutor staff, and relationship cultivation within a broad referral-based community. Every client’s test preparation program is crafted and managed by a Compass program director and every Compass tutor is hired, trained, mentored, supervised, and supported by our program director team.
– Conduct several consultative sales calls per day with potential clients, typically by phone and occasionally in person. Make customized and student-centric program recommendations based on extensive conversations. Follow up with prospective clients conscientiously and thoughtfully.
– Convert recommendations into individualized tutoring programs and manage those programs to successful and highly satisfying outcomes. Each program director actively manages several hundred one-on-one programs per year and provides a level of personalized service that consistently leads to enthusiastic word-of-mouth referrals and long term loyalty.
– Make thoughtful tutor matches for each client; supervise the tutor-client relationship; provide ongoing strategic guidance and expertise related to college admission testing and preparation; resolve any program-related concerns.
– Develop and maintain long term relationships with clients; strengthen relationships with tutors by providing ongoing support, evaluating performance, and offering professional development and mentoring.
– Conduct interviews with prospective tutors and share management responsibility for the overall recruitment, training, and professional development process.
– Deepen our enduring relationships with school-based and independent college counselors by consulting with them on program recommendations, and providing student progress reports. Program directors with interest and skill in public speaking have the opportunity to lead presentations at schools for parent and student audiences and at conferences for counselors.
The Ideal Candidate:
At Compass, our program directors stand out not only for what they do but also for how they think. We ask for conscientious and consistent effort to align daily actions with our ethical standards and long term goals. We expect that a program director’s contribution will increase over time with an expanding breadth and depth of experience and expertise, more and higher stakes responsibilities, and by assuming leadership roles.
While handling the busy demands of a routine day, our program directors are guided by the longview aspect of their roles. This is revealed in their client conversations, the details in their work, their decision making, and in the way they talk about Compass. They make a consistently positive impression on everyone they meet. They are experienced, empathetic, wise, trustworthy, sensible, fair, honest, engaged, and needed.
We strive to make our program directors feel confident and secure, trusted and supported. We look for hard working team players who want to invest long term and who will make the most of an investment in them. Program directors are central figures at Compass but part of a much larger full-time team that provides mentoring, strategic leadership, administrative and operational support, and cutting-edge tech tools. Program directors are given the help – and the autonomy – they need to succeed.
While this is a sales position, ours is not a typical sales culture. We keep the client’s needs at the center of every conversation and let the appropriate recommendation emerge from there.
– Exceptional interpersonal instincts and skill, in all modes of communication and contexts
– Meaningful and relevant professional experience in relationship management and sales
– High comfort level with, and interest in, college admission testing subject matter
– Naturally collaborative spirit internally, competitive mindset externally
– Willing to embrace a challenging learning curve and open to possibility of a long term role
– Able to work a traditional full-time weekday schedule based in our office
– Undergraduate degree required, advanced degree preferred
Compensation, Benefits, and Intangibles:
– competitive salary with incentives and potential for growth
– quality health insurance plan with modest employee contribution
– 401k with employer match
– paid vacation/personal days, holidays, and seasonal flex-days
– paid parking and paid gym membership (LA, on-site) or wellness stipend (SF)
– frequent lunches, social events, offsites, and prof dev opportunities
– beautiful offices with comfortable furnishings and modern equipment
– top-notch tech infrastructure supported by awesome product dev team
– kind, fun-loving, interesting, and talented teammates (no exceptions)
– transparent, equitable environment and ethical leadership
View our anonymous employee reviews on Glassdoor.com for additional insight into who we are and the quality work environment we’ve strived to create.
Email your resume and a cover letter explaining why this role would be a good fit for you to email@example.com. We value thoughtful cover letters and will give priority to candidates who demonstrate interest in this way. Please note that we are unable to accommodate unscheduled drop-ins or phone calls. Thank you for your interest.