Compass Education Group is one of the world’s leading tutoring and test preparation companies. We provide completely customized one-on-one instructional programs, both in-home and online, for thousands of students annually. The company is privately held by its three founders who are owner-operators with a combined 75 years of experience in educational services and tutoring businesses.
Our dedicated management teams totaling 30 professionals based in Los Angeles, New York City, and San Francisco in turn support an elite group of 300 instructors who specialize in high-stakes admission tests and also provide tutoring for a full range of academic subjects. Compass’ stellar reputation within the education community is the result of a 30 year track record of ethical conduct and helping students succeed.
Beyond its private client business, Compass is recognized by the education community as the most trusted source of research and guidance on the topic of college admission testing. We are keynote speakers at over 100 high schools and higher education conferences each year, we maintain one of the industry’s most popular and respected blogs, and we are go-to sources for education reporters in the national media. Our annual Guide to College Admission Testing reaches well over 100,000 readers annually and is considered to be the definitive authority on its subject matter. We are proud to share the Guide and related resources free of charge through schools and counselors worldwide. We also partner with dozens of schools and community-based organizations to provide affordable test preparation to hundreds of students from under-resourced backgrounds.
Please review the links below for information about full-time and part-time career opportunities currently available. Please note that we are unable to accommodate unscheduled drop-ins or phone calls.
What’s it like to work for Compass? Please check out an extensive list of anonymous employee reviews in our profile on Glassdoor. We are proud to provide a caring and rewarding work environment for our amazing team of tutors and full-time staff.
Program Director, Sales & Program Management
At the core of every outstanding Compass experience is an outstanding Compass program director. Our program directors lead our efforts to deliver exceptional value to Compass’s clients and tutors.
Program directors play the critical role of developing and maintaining relationships with our clients and instructors. Their activities are focused around consultative sales, attentive program management, customer guidance and care, supervision of our tutor staff, and relationship cultivation within a broad referral-based community. Every client’s test preparation program is crafted and managed by a Compass program director and every Compass tutor is hired, trained, mentored, supervised, and supported by our program director team.
– Conduct several consultative sales calls per day with potential clients, typically by phone and occasionally in person. Make customized and student-centric program recommendations based on extensive conversations. Follow up with prospective clients conscientiously and thoughtfully.
– Convert recommendations into individualized tutoring programs and manage those programs to successful and highly satisfying outcomes. Each program director actively manages several hundred one-on-one programs per year and provides a level of personalized service that consistently leads to enthusiastic word-of-mouth referrals and long term loyalty.
– Make thoughtful tutor matches for each client; supervise the tutor-client relationship; provide ongoing strategic guidance and expertise related to college admission testing and preparation; resolve any program-related concerns.
– Develop and maintain long term relationships with clients; strengthen relationships with tutors by providing ongoing support, evaluating performance, and offering professional development and mentoring.
– Conduct interviews with prospective tutors and share management responsibility for the overall recruitment, training, and professional development process.
– Deepen our enduring relationships with school-based and independent college counselors by consulting with them on program recommendations, and providing student progress reports. Program directors with interest and skill in public speaking have the opportunity to lead presentations at schools for parent and student audiences and at conferences for counselors.
The Ideal Candidate:
At Compass, our program directors stand out not only for what they do but also for how they think. We ask for conscientious and consistent effort to align daily actions with our ethical standards and long term goals. We expect that a program director’s contribution will increase over time with an expanding breadth and depth of experience and expertise, more and higher stakes responsibilities, and by assuming leadership roles.
While handling the busy demands of a routine day, our program directors are guided by the longview aspect of their roles. This is revealed in their client conversations, the details in their work, their decision making, and in the way they talk about Compass. They make a consistently positive impression on everyone they meet. They are experienced, empathetic, wise, trustworthy, sensible, fair, honest, engaged, and needed.
We strive to make our program directors feel confident and secure, trusted and supported. We look for hard working team players who want to invest long term and who will make the most of an investment in them. Program directors are central figures at Compass but part of a much larger full-time team that provides mentoring, strategic leadership, administrative and operational support, and cutting-edge tech tools. Program directors are given the help – and the autonomy – they need to succeed.
While this is a sales position, ours is not a typical sales culture. We keep the client’s needs at the center of every conversation and let the appropriate recommendation emerge from there.
– Exceptional interpersonal instincts and skill, in all modes of communication and contexts
– Meaningful and relevant professional experience in relationship management and sales
– High comfort level with, and interest in, college admission testing subject matter
– Naturally collaborative spirit internally, competitive mindset externally
– Willing to embrace a challenging learning curve and open to possibility of a long term role
– Able to work a traditional full-time weekday schedule based in our office
– Undergraduate degree required, advanced degree preferred
Compensation, Benefits, and Intangibles:
– competitive salary with incentives and potential for growth
– quality health insurance plan with modest employee contribution
– 401k with employer match
– paid vacation/personal days, holidays, and seasonal flex-days
– paid parking and paid gym membership (LA, on-site) or wellness stipend (SF)
– frequent lunches, social events, offsites, and prof dev opportunities
– beautiful offices with comfortable furnishings and modern equipment
– top-notch tech infrastructure supported by awesome product dev team
– kind, fun-loving, interesting, and talented teammates (no exceptions)
– transparent, equitable environment and ethical leadership
View our anonymous employee reviews on Glassdoor.com for additional insight into who we are and the quality work environment we’ve strived to create.
Email your resume and a cover letter explaining why this role would be a good fit for you to email@example.com. We value thoughtful cover letters and will give priority to candidates who demonstrate interest in this way. Please note that we are unable to accommodate unscheduled drop-ins or phone calls. Thank you for your interest.