Your attitude and energy have a big effect on any standardized test! Plan ahead and you’ll arrive at the exam energized, confident, and prepared.
The month before the test:
- Plan out schoolwork. Complete major projects by the middle of test week.
The week before the test:
- Adjust your sleep schedule. If you’re usually a night owl, start getting to bed earlier.
- Wrap up school work. Aim for a no-homework Friday.
- Eat healthy, balanced meals.
- Drive to the test location and scout parking.
The day before the test:
- Just for this day, set aside studying.
- Take time to unwind. Enjoy one of your favorite activities.
- A light workout is a good idea; a grueling one is not!
- Pack test necessities:
- Admission ticket
- Picture ID
- Directions to the test
- Pencils and eraser
- Calculator with spare batteries
- Snacks and drinks
The day of the test:
- Get up at least two hours before the test.
- Start your day with 10 minutes of light exercise to make sure you’re awake.
- Eat a healthy breakfast. Don’t pile on caffeine if you don’t usually drink it.
- Work a few easy test questions. Don’t worry about checking the answers; you’re just warming up.
- Get to the testing site early to avoid stressful delays. Remember, the roads and parking lot will be very busy with arriving students.
- Find the bathroom! Know where to go on your breaks.
- Once you’re in your testing room, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Get to a calm place. You’ve got this!